MSU Community ReUse Days
April 21-26, 21014
Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 3:00 pm and Saturday 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
The MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center strives to engage the community by providing sustainable solutions for the disposal of unwanted materials. By partnering with the University community, we are able to advance waste reduction initiatives and promote environmental stewardship.
MSU Community ReUse Days are an opportunity for students, faculty, staff and alumni to take an active role in helping develop sustainable solutions by dropping off unwanted household items to the Surplus Store. All material collected is resold, reused or recycled and the proceeds from the sale of re-sellable items helps support our efforts to increase materials collected from campus and the community.
As a result of past Community ReUse Days, we’ve been able to expand recycling opportunities of colored glass (all colors accepted) at the Recycling Drop-off Center and implement a pilot polystyrene (Styrofoam) recycling program on campus. We are currently looking into solutions for recycling alkaline batteries.
Community ReUse Days are held each fall and spring.
- E-waste and household electronics:
- Personal computers, keyboards and mouses, TV's, monitors, telephones, cell phones, laptops, VCR's, printers, scanners, microwaves, copy machines and small items such as coffee makers, vacuums and toasters.
- Good, usable furniture (no mattresses)
- Sporting goods including bicycles and exercise equipment
- Books, magazines, DVD's and CD's
- Scrap metal
- Holiday decorations
- Knick knacks and trinkets
- Kitchen items
- Styrofoam (Polystyrene) - Please see below for more information.
Not Currently Accepted:
- Hazadous waste
- Alkaline batteries
- Cleaning Supplies
- Modular Furniture Panels
Unloading assistance will be provided and we will be offering free paper shredding. Community Reuse Days are for personal use only. Businesses are encouraged to contact one of the many e-waste recycling providers in the mid-Michigan area.
Styrofoam (Polystyrene) Collection
Please place Styrofoam in a clear plastic bag. Please rinse off and remove food waste.
Acceptable items include:
- Foam cups and containers.
- Foam egg cartons
- Foam trays
- Most packaging foam – molded forms and shapes
- Bulk packaging foam used in computers, electronics, etc.
- Packaging peanuts (bag separately from other foam)
We cannot accept:
- Process flame-retardant material (i.e. pink or blue insulation foam)
- Expanded plastic packaging material (a sponge-like material that resembles foam)